Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Under The Tuscan Sun

                After Venice I traveled to the beautiful city of Florence. It took a while to find the hotel but with the help of a very kind and happy Italian man (and his cute dog) we found the right place. One of our first activities was to go on a nature hike up the very large hill just down the street from the hotel. The way up was beautiful and filled with different flora and fauna. When we got a little over halfway to the top there was a clearing that showed an amazing view of the city with all its spires and domes. The city is beautiful, but the sight at the top was absolutely breath taking. On one side of this hill there was a view of the city, and on the other was a view of true Tuscan country side. Yes I took a boat load of pictures and made plenty of exclamations about the sight before me. Along a side path at the top I found this old abandoned house. It was in what looked like the traditional brick style of other Tuscan homes that I had seen and was broken down and over grown with grass and weeds. The best way I can think to describe it is that it was in a beautiful state of decay. It also had a “Danger. Do Not Enter” sign (at least that’s what I’m guessing it said since I don’t speak Italian) so I may have been breaking some sort of law… oops? It was well worth it. J
                The next day took me to the city center of Florence (our hotel was about a half hour outside the center). The longest part of my day was waiting in line for two and a half hours to get into the museum to see Michelangelo’s statue of David. Oh. My. God… I think I spent a good half hour just staring at him from every angle possible. The finite detail of this creation was incredible. I have said it before and I will say it again now, David was so lifelike I was just waiting for him to take a breath, step off of his pedestal, and walk past us like the mere mortals we are. Pictures do not do him justice and the fact that this figure came out of a single block of stone just amazes me. David was pretty much the only thing we saw in the museum and I would gladly wait in line another two and a half hours to see him again in a heartbeat. Oh! And you are welcome for the picture of David since it was against the rules to take them. I felt like an undercover spy taking these pictures. We had a strategy and everything and didn't get caught once! What can I say I’m a rebel.

                Pisa was the next (and last) stop in Italy for this trip. I was only there for a few hours but I was happy with the time I did get to spend there. The majority of the time was spent either laying out on the grass in front of the Leaning Tower, taking naps in the sun or snapping those awkward but funny pictures with the tower as anyone would expect of a tourist. And yes I now have awkward tan lines from falling asleep outside.We even had our own personal soap opera playing out right behind us! Let’s just say it took a lot not to turn around and call this dude out for making this girl cry and declaring him a royal ass to his face. Some people. Jeesh! Anywho, when you walk onto the grounds it looks like you have stumbled upon a mime wannabe convention. It was hilarious, especially because I knew I would be joining in the awesomeness in a matter of minutes. I loved that Pisa wasn't a very touristy place. It certainly had charm and personality but it wasn't swarming with camera and fanny pack toting tourists. Pisa was a nice place to just relax, walk around, explore, and sit back and enjoy some gelato.



At the start of my hike.


It is decidedly much easier going up than it is going down. Especially with wet leaves on the path :(




The view of the city of Florence.


And the view of the Tuscan country side.


Yup. Be jealous.


Just some trees with pretty flowers :)


The side path that had a pretty but slightly creepy feel to it.







Aaaaand this was the place I kind of broke into but not really. There was already a hole so its more like I was entering rather than breaking anything. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.


Needless to say I LOVED the view up here.




Here are some pictures of one of the major churches in Florence El Duomo.



 
No Photoshop was used in the taking of these pictures. The sky was seriously this blue and it looked amazing with the colors of the church and surrounding buildings.

 
You are welcome.



Go ahead and stare a while. Drooling is acceptable as well.


I have no idea who this little fella is but everyone kept rubbing his nose and taking pictures with him so I thought I would too. He is kinda cute lol


This was an open market or bazaar in one of the side squares in Florence that had things like scarves, shawls, leather items, jewelry and a ton of other stuff for sale. It was actually pretty cool to see everything.



Just me on a look out bridge by the river. The bridge behind me had a street running down the middle with all kinds of shops and restaurants on either side.


Another one of the bridge and river.


Oh hey its me! Hiiii!

PISA!!!!!


A street on our way to the Leaning Tower.


Another me, another bridge, another river, and another beautiful day in Italy! I don't think I will ever get used to this.


I love that Pisa isn't touristy. It was nice to just walk down the street and not be harassed by people who wanted you to buy this nick-nack or that.


My first sight of the Tower!!!!

And here comences the typical tourist picutures.. enjoy









Some of the buildings surrounding the Tower were a church and museum of Pisa and it's history.







Kissing Pisa goodbye!



No comments:

Post a Comment