Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Oh Barcelona

Where to begin? Barcelona was amazing! It was probably the weirdest place I have ever been to but it was amazing anyways. First off, sleeping in an airport is not fun. Like ever. It’s cold and uncomfortable and there are random and creepy people around you. Been there, done that, no I don’t want the t-shirt.
                So the first day in Barcelona was literally spent sleeping. We fully embraced their custom of taking long siestas. I’m pretty sure I passed out for a good six hours or so (traveling is awesome but wears you out fast.) Our great discovery of the day was this tapas place just a few blocks away from the hostel. And when I say tapas I mean little snacks and finger foods, not a topless bar as everyone assumes I’m saying when I tell them I went to a tapas bar and loved it…. Awkward. The second day in Barcelona we went on a tour of the gothic part of the city and learned some of the very strange history that these people seem to surround themselves with. I learned that the royal church is named after the patron saint of bread and the only reason this young woman became their saint was because she had her breasts cut off and placed on a silver platter and the bread makers said they resembled rolls… told you its awkward. I also got to see the Jewish quarter, or ghetto, and learn a little about their lives there which was cool since that’s part of what I am studying here in Europe.
                Another thing I came to realize is that the people in Barcelona are obsessed with poop and sex. There is a reason the United States is considered the “prude” country. My goodness! Instead of a Santa Claus like we have their Christmas person is a long and the name literally translates to Mr. Shit. Yup… Don’t even get me started on the plants and flowers they had to sell.
                It seems that where ever I go I always run into Americans. Which is actually really nice because every time I hear someone speaking English with and American accent I’m like a dog looking for a squirrel. American?!?! My people?!?!?! OMG you sound like home!!!!! It’s sad really. One kind of cool person I met that’s from back home is Adam (here’s your shout out!) and he is from the not so great state of Oregon (just kidding J) Adam introduced Lorena, Kait and I to some new friends and we tried out this cool restaurant and went in search of this “magical fountain.” I had no idea what it was but I'm glad we went. It was this huge fountain that “danced” to music and had all these different colored lights shining into it. The show was great and it was well worth it. The rest of the night was interesting to say the least and I will state now that it will be a very, very, VERY long time before I drink mojitos again.
                I got to see the outside of La Sagrada Familia, this huge and amazing cathedral that is still being built. The church won’t be finished for another 12 to 15 years so I have a reason to come back to Barcelona. La Sagrada was nothing like I had ever seen before. The detail just on the outside was amazing. Its modern art and architecture so it doesn't mesh with the Gothic or even Catalan styles that are in the area but it totally embodies the personality of Barcelona.
                 This  place was crazy, and weird, and unbelievable interesting and I kind of fell in love with it. I can't wait for my next adventure here in the near or distant future.


                

A pretty Gothic church in the Gothic section of the city.



I thought the glass work on this window was really beautiful so here is a picture!


The only Picasso piece I will ever see that I didn't have to pay for.


These tiles are how the streets (or the people who lived there) told their story. Whether its just a job occupation like bread makers or if someone famous once lived along this street.


The streets are also pretty narrow and there are people that live here that don't like tours so they throw things at you...


The inside of a Catalan Cathedral. Funny thing is that this church was literally build by the people, for the people and was finished in like 50 something years. That is half the time of any other cathedral because they cut out the government and the bullshit bureaucracy.


Now this flame is a memorial to those who stood (and fell) against Madrid I believe. The Catalan people have a bad habit of choosing the losing side of any battle or problem. Every time.


Me chilling at the beach! Wasn't warm enough to go in the water but it was nice to just lay out and have a relaxing afternoon.


Me in front of the Magic Fountain. Don't worry it gets more magical than that.


I made a new lion friend! Doesn't he look handsome??

La Sagrada Familia!!







I told you they had a thing about sex....


This delicious concoction is called Paella and I am in love. I will figure out how to make this back home and I will eat it at least three times a week. It will happen.


Just some art hanging out around the city.


This is tapas! Mind you all this food (and sangria) is for four girls and we finished everything.


Me in front of park close to the hostel.


We found a place that 'famous' writers would come to for hot chocolate and churros. The difference here is that the hot chocolate is so thick you can eat it like pudding on a spoon. It was delicious!!!


Here's the magic fountain!!!


My new friend Adam and I thought it would be a good idea to climb a column to get a better view of the Magic show.



And us girls being girls in front of this beautiful building


No comments:

Post a Comment