Sunday, April 6, 2014

Home Sweet Czech Lands!

              One of my goals while I am studying abroad is to buy a flag from every country that I visit so that I can hang them up when I get back to the states. I did not realize how difficult this would be here in the Czech Republic. The Czechs are not patriotic people. At all. It’s not like back home where everyone and their dog has a flag. The only time these people display their flag is if it’s hanging from a government building or their hockey team won a national championship, which I’m told is rare. I also tried to talk our fearless leaders, Jan and Martin, into helping me steal a flag but that didn't go too well. They said they could toss me up to grab one hanging from a building but the catching part on the way down wasn't a sure thing. Thanks guys. But no worries because I finally found a flag! And no I didn't steal it so no worries about that either or else I would probably be hiding out somewhere rather than writing this post.


                A few of us also stumbled upon the American Embassy! Woohoo! At first we were really excited because it was the closest we had been to ‘home’ or American soil since we left the states. Of course we wanted to take pictures of it and in front of it and were being very loud and ‘American like’ in stating our intentions when a guard slowly sauntered up to us and stated that pictures weren't allowed. Out of all the embassies in Prague there are only two that have guards outside their doors. The Americans and some country in the Middle East that I can’t remember right now. Which in my opinion was very self important of them, I mean, from what I have noticed since being here is that the Czechs are passive aggressive and are more likely going to sit and discuss what to do rather than take violent action. Plus the dang building is on a hill in a pretty building and completely out of the way. What if I am running for my life and I have to run up this hill to get to my embassy? It would  be more likely for me to get myself lost running through random streets than to find it, and the guard in front probably wouldn't even let me in! Thanks America. It is pretty safe to say that after this encounter we were not happy travelers. (Grrrrrrrrr!)


No comments:

Post a Comment